Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hard Stuff

We received sad and shocking news today. A friend of a family member took his life. While Geoff and I didn't know him well, we met him a few times, we are both still shocked and sobered this evening. We don't know anything other than he is no longer with us. I feel so sad because I know what it is like to have feelings of hopelessness and to have no desire for life. I've been there. There was a point in my late teens, early twenties where honestly didn't care to see 25 nor did I think I would be alive to see it. I am so grateful today that I made it and that something inside of me kept me alive. Subconsciously there was something in there strong enough to let me now I had a future waiting for me. I feel sad because I am reminded of those desperate feelings and my heart breaks to know that someone else felt those feelings so strongly that they acted on them. I realize people take their lives every day and my life never changes because of it. So many of us go untouched by this kind of tragedy. But I guess maybe because this individual is someone I've met and seemed happy and successful, it hits closer to home. I feel so sorry for those around him who are affected. I feel sorry that they will at some point drift off to sleep tonight only to wake and re-live the pain again tomorrow. Suicide is so selfish. I feel helpless because though we know those close to him, we're not in the circle and so there's nothing we really can do to help. Though, really, is there anything that helps?

No comments:

Post a Comment